The Brodhead Naval Armory opened 1930 as a naval training facility, but spent the last decade fighting its own war against scrappers and vandals. Curbed toured the armory earlier this week with the DEGC, which hopes to lure a developer willing to save the historic limestone building.
Aside from a number of damaged murals, what used to be Michigan's largest collection of Depression-era WPA artwork is gone. Plumbing and electrical? Long gone. As snow continues drifting in through broken windows and a collapsing roof, even the most ardent preservationist has to wonder: Is saving Brodhead Naval Armory even possible?
· Previous Brodhead Coverage [Curbed]