New details were released over the weekend on DTE Energy Co's plans to take a downtown parking lot and turn it into a bustling park along the lines of Campus Martius.
The project was first introduced back in 2013, and while development saw some motion, the space is currently a holding area for dirt and other equipment dedicated to the new Red Wings arena. It's a situation DTE says won't last long as they gear up for an official late summer groundbreaking. - Leslie Youngblood
Mini Campus Martius, what we know so far:
- Roughly 1.3-acres/56,000 square feet of land
- Bordered by Grand River Avenue, First Street and Plaza Dr.
- Will feature food trucks, concerts, a restaurant and open green space
- Will be operated and managed by same entity that manages Campus Martius
- Estimated cost: $5-$10 million
- Completion targeted for Spring 2016
- No official name yet—DTE plans to ask the public for suggestions
· DTE to create public park downtown [Crains Detroit]
· DTE Restores Vacant Salvation Army Building; Mini Campus Martius to Begin Construction Soon [Curbed Detroit]
· Buildings, Parking Lot Cleared For Eventual Downtown Park [Curbed Detroit]
· Gigantic Parking Lot Turning into "Mini Campus Martius" [Curbed Detroit]