We have another sign of work moving right along in the District Detroit. Wayne State University is hosting a groundbreaking for the Mike Ilitch School of Business, located at the corner of Woodward and Temple, this Wednesday.
The school will be located right by the new arena/events center and is slated to open in 2018 (the arena will open for the 2017 hockey season). The $40 million donation by the Ilitch family is the largest in the school’s history. $35 million will go to the building, while $5 million will go to an endowment fund.
Also on the District front, the Detroit Free Press reported last week about more additions to the District, including a high-end hotel (which could be where the visiting athletes stay), more retail strips, a Detroit Medical Center sports medicine building, a 1,000-car parking deck, and 11 townhouses.
- The hotel would be located between the arena and the Fisher Freeway Service Drive.
- The retail strips would go over I-75, on the overpass along Woodward.
- A potential medical center would go between the School of Business and the arena.
- The towhouses would be located on Clifford St.
We’ll keep you updated as we learn more. Interested in the groundbreaking? It’s on Wednesday, July 20, from 11:30 a.m. to noon at the corner of Woodward and Temple.
- Wayne State University to host groundbreaking ceremony for Mike Ilitch School of Business in The District Detroit – July 20 [Wayne State University]
- New Detroit Red Wings' arena plans: Posh hotel, medical center, retail [Detroit Free Press]
- Wayne State Reveals Details of Mike Ilitch Donation [Curbed Detroit]