We’ll eventually get used to calling the Greektown Casino "Jack." Until then, Dan Gilbert’s gaming division, JACK Entertainment, announced that they’re restoring St. Mary’s School in Greektown and turning it into their headquarters. The building has been empty for ten years.
Currently, its team members and company headquarters are located at One Woodward Avenue. All 140 employees will move into the Greektown school by the end of the year.
The school sits on St. Antoine Street, across from Greektown Casino and Hotel, which will be called JACK Detroit Casino-Hotel Greektown early next year. The two buildings are connected via a pedestrian skywalk. The five-story, 29,000-square-foot former school building currently undergoing a $7 million renovation. The project architect is Neumann/Smith Architecture and the general contractor is Colasanti Group, both located in Detroit.
The new offices will have large open spaces, modern furniture, and a fifth floor mezzanine. JACK Entertainment will occupy the second through fifth floors, leaving the first floor for a future retail tenant.
The St. Mary’s School building, designed by Puis Daubner, was built in 1868 and used as a school, orphanage and sisters' residence for nearly a century. After the school closed in 1966, the building became St. Mary's Community Center. It is one of the oldest Catholic school buildings in the state. In 1980, the structure was recognized as a historical site by the state of Michigan.
- Goodbye Greektown Casino, Hello Jack Detroit Casino-Hotel Greektown [Curbed Detroit]