Ever since Jack White opened his Third Man Records store on Canfield in November 2015, we’ve known a vinyl pressing facility has been in the works. We now know that production is starting soon, the Grand Opening is February 25, and it’s super environmentally friendly.
The facility is in the same location as the store and will create up to 50 new living wage jobs. In terms of production and environmental impact, the announcement boasts of features including:
- “Operating eight of the first newly built presses built in 35 years, plus four extruders, and four hydraulic generators — all brand new
- Presses can accommodate 12” LP’s or 7” singles according to demand
- Only fully climate-controlled pressing plant work environment in the world
- All new, state-of-the-art pressing machinery and purpose-built manufacturing infrastructure
- Closed-loop, chilled-water system that maximizes water sustainability
- Four high-efficiency hydraulic systems isolated in a dedicated, contained room
- Digital touch screen controls for temperature, hydraulic compression, and extrusion speed
- Engineered sound containment for minimal external noise pollution
- Built by audio and studio fabrication experts responsible for some of the most-lauded recording studios in the world
- Capacity estimated at 5000 records per 8 hour shift, with a current cycle time of approximately 45 seconds per record”
The public is invited to the Grand Opening, scheduled for February 25. The store will have a viewing platform so visitors can check out the operations any time. More info can be found here.