New services from SMART intend on helping riders travel between the city and the suburbs much quicker. This will include a quicker route to the airport. The new service is aiming for a Janury 1 start date, but they’re seeking public feedback in the meantime.
- Service between 15 to 30 minutes
- Lower frequency in the late night/early morning
- Fewer stops along main corridors, meaning stops every one to two miles for faster service
- Onboard wi-fi
- Connected vehicle technology systems on the buses
SMART is ordering their last group of buses to replace its aging fleet, which has been an ongoing process over the past few years.
For those interested in attending a workshop or public hearing (which take place in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties), the schedule can be found here. Those who can’t attend are welcome to submit their thoughts through November 20 via:
- Hearing Impaired by telephone via Michigan Relay: 711/866-962-5515 option 2.
- Via mail addressed to “Public Hearing”, SMART Administrative Offices, 535 Griswold Street, Suite 600, Detroit, MI 48226.
- Email: PublicHearing@smartbus.org.