Our Friday Open Thread this week centers around the chess match over a large parcel of land at Gratiot and 375. We seem to be in a holding pattern for the long process involving Wayne County, Dan Gilbert, and the fail jail site.
- Last spring, Dan Gilbert and Rock Ventures said they wanted to bring a Major League Soccer team to Detroit. Their renderings showed the new soccer stadium on the fail jail site at Gratiot.
- Shortly thereafter, Wayne County assessed the partially-finished jail site that’s been sitting for a few years to see if it was still structurally sound. It was.
- Then Wayne County issued an RFP to see if they could find a contractor to finish it.
- Walsh Construction is the only bidder. Wayne County says they’re moving forward.
- In February, Rock Ventures made an offer to build Wayne County a new criminal justice center about a mile away. Rock Ventures would get the jail site and build a new soccer stadium & development.
- Wayne County says they’ll think about it.
- Rock Ventures releases a study saying how great the new stadium would be for the region. Wayne County will think about it.
- Wayne County gives Walsh Construction an extension to competitively bid on the site.
This is just the last year in the saga. It goes back so many years. You can find more here.
While we wait for this actually extremely important decision to be made, we want to hear from you. What should happen with this site? In many ways, it’s a gateway to downtown. But we have to consider a lot of factors here. What do you think?
What should happen with the jail site on Gratiot?
This poll is closed
Wayne County should finish what they started. Build the jail! Let’s move on.
Stadium! How can Wayne County say no to this offer? Everyone wins!
Probably not a jail, but does Detroit really need another stadium?
Soccer stadium/jail combo (j/k I have no interest in jails, sports, or development)
I have a way better idea. Get ready for it in the comments.