This year’s Hatch Detroit contest—the annual business pitch event that helps a new Detroit business get a brick and mortar shop open—is entering its final week. Voting is open for the four finalists; one will win $50,000 toward their business plus $200,000 in pro bono support (IT, architectural assistance, PR, legal services). This year’s finalists all represent eco-friendly ideas paired with great customer service.
The finalists are:
- Baobab Fare: a restaurant, market and juice bar, with prepared menu items, groceries, juices and other retail products unique to East Africa.
- Bar Botánica: a mixed-use craft cocktail bar and café in Jefferson-Chalmers. Its concept is inspired by botánicas—”shops that sell plants, herbs, candles, and other mystical products used in Afro-Caribbean spiritual practices.”
- Detroit Blows: a salon specializing in blowout hair styling services with non-toxic, high-performance products.
- The Lip Bar: a beauty brand with responsibly made, affordable products free from harsh chemicals and filled with natural and organic oils.
Voting is open until Friday, August 25 at noon. Votes can be cast here, on Hatch Detroit’s facebook page, or in person this week at:
- Cadillac Square, Monday, Aug. 21 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Eastern Market, Shed 2, Tuesday, Aug. 22 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Good Cakes and Bakes, Wednesday, Aug. 23 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
On Friday, August 25, the finalists will pitch their ideas to a panel of judges and a large audience (think Shark Tank). The winner will be announced after.