This year’s Hatch Detroit contest—the annual business pitch event that helps a new Detroit business get a brick and mortar shop open—is entering its final week. Voting is open for the four finalists; one will win $50,000 toward their business plus $200,000 in pro bono support (IT, architectural assistance, PR, legal services). This year’s finalists all represent eco-friendly ideas paired with great customer service.
The finalists are:
- Baobab Fare: a restaurant, market and juice bar, with prepared menu items, groceries, juices and other retail products unique to East Africa.
- Bar Botánica: a mixed-use craft cocktail bar and café in Jefferson-Chalmers. Its concept is inspired by botánicas—”shops that sell plants, herbs, candles, and other mystical products used in Afro-Caribbean spiritual practices.”
- Detroit Blows: a salon specializing in blowout hair styling services with non-toxic, high-performance products.
- The Lip Bar: a beauty brand with responsibly made, affordable products free from harsh chemicals and filled with natural and organic oils.
- Cadillac Square, Monday, Aug. 21 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Eastern Market, Shed 2, Tuesday, Aug. 22 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Good Cakes and Bakes, Wednesday, Aug. 23 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
On Friday, August 25, the finalists will pitch their ideas to a panel of judges and a large audience (think Shark Tank). The winner will be announced after.