The financial district has new neighbors.
The Church of Scientology celebrated the opening of its new Detroit location on Sunday, shutting down part of Griswold Street for many of its followers. The church plans to sell its Farmington Hills location and move staff into the downtown Detroit building.
The church paid $3.5 million for the Standard Savings & Loan Building in 2007, and the renovations cost about $8 million.
The building is in a highly visible downtown location. It sits across from Hart Plaza along Jefferson Avenue, across from One Woodward. It’s a couple blocks from Cobo Center and a block away from the Guardian Building.
The site itself is historic in that it was the original location for the first Ste. Anne de Detroit church in 1701. Ste. Anne de Detroit moved to its current, and eighth, location in Southwest Detroit in 1886.
The Standard Savings & Loan Building was built in 1930, and features design elements by sculptor Corrado Parducci.
The building will be open to the public, and the church will offer tours.