The 61st annual Ford Fireworks are scheduled on Monday night, June 24 at 9:55 p.m., and we’re here to help you find the right place to watch them. As always, the fireworks are over the Detroit River, so rooftop decks or riverfront parks are good bets. If you don't have friends in high places (literally), there are still plenty of options. Here's a map of ideas ranging from free to fancy.
A few notes
- Parking meters will not be enforced after 5 p.m., but ticketing will occur for improper parking (just make sure you’re in an actual parking spot)
- QLine service will end southbound at the Sproat Station and begin northbound at Adelaide starting at 6 p.m. and it will run until midnight.
- The People Mover will be running, with some stations closed. The Financial District will be the closest stop to the festivities.
- Riverside Park and the RiverWalk (from Yzerman Drive to Joseph Campau) will be closed.
- Youth 17 and younger need to be with an adult after 8 p.m. downtown.
Getting to the fireworks
- Starting at 5 p.m., these DDOT bus routes will end at the Bricktown People Mover Station: Van Dyke/Lafayette (#5), Gratiot (#6), Jefferson (#9), Russell (#40), Chene (#52), Cadillac/Harper (#67), and Ryan Express (#95)
- Woodward (#4) will lay over on Woodward at Adams in Grand Circus Park
- DDOT will have additional Conant (#12) buses leaving Belle Isle every 15 minutes from 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. Passengers may board at regular locations and on Casino Way at The Strand and Inselruhe at the White House.
- All other downtown routes will start and end at Rosa Parks Transit Center
- For those coming from the suburbs, SMART has arranged a number of temporary parking locations along its FAST routes the night of the fireworks
- The Detroit People Mover, open until midnight, is a good way to travel between gaps in service. It will bypass the Renaissance Center and Millender Center stations beginning at 2 p.m.
- At around 6 p.m., the following street closures will begin: Northbound and southbound on Woodward Avenue beginning at Park and Witherell; all streets south of Fort and west of Woodward; all streets south of Congress and east of Woodward.
- Ford Underground Garage (30 East Jefferson Avenue) and the Millennium Garage (432 West Congress Street) will be open for 24 hours and cost $10 to park
- The Joe Louis Arena Garage will be closed
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below or send us a note on the tip line. We’ll update with more information on street closures and news throughout the week.Read More